Ok, so I think this coconut cake is really very easy as you don't need to cream together the butter and sugar and the desiccated coconut icing is very forgiving if you're icing in a hurry.
Coconut Birthday Cake
250g of caster sugar
4 free range eggs
150ml of sunflower oil
250g of self raising flour
50g of desiccated coconut
1 teaspoon of baking powder
4 tablespoons of strawberry jam
300g of icing sugar
50g of coconut
Grease and line a 20cm round spring form cake tin. Preheat the oven to 170*C
1) Whisk the sugar and the eggs together until fluffy and pale.
2) Carry on whisking and slowly add the sunflower oil
3) Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture then sprinkle over the coconut
4) Using a large metal spoon fold the dry ingredients into the wet until completely combined.
5) Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for around 30-45 minutes. You'll know it's done when a skewer inserted comes out clean
6) When baked leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out to a wire rack and leave until it cools to room temperature.
7) Using a serrated knife cut the cake horizontally in half
8) Spread the bottom half with Strawberry jam and sandwich back together
9) To make the icing stir together the sugar and coconut and gradually add water (a spoonful at a time) until it is the consistency of thick porridge (add more sugar or coconut if the mixture is too wet).
10) Spread the icing all over the cake (think artex!)
11) Decorate with plastic toys, lolly pops, rose hips or candles.